In-App Messages are highly customizable pop-up modals that Mobile App user can receive when they are inside your App. This guide will go over how to set them up and all features available.
In-App messages do not require a subscription, and they only show when the users are actively using your application. This enables In-App messages to be highly effective in some of the following scenarios:
- Onboarding: Guide your users through getting started with your application. Provide them with an onboarding process, introducing them to key application features
- Product and Feature Announcements: Inform your users when you have added new products and features to the application, to capture their attention to begin using them.
- Push and Location Access: Get users to subscribe to push or grant location access needed for your application.
- Refer a Friend: Allow your users to invite their friends into your application with a single click.
- Sign up for a free OneSignal Account.
- Setup your SDK, with our handy Mobile Push Quickstart guides.
- Add your users and ensure they are present in Audience > All Users.
- Send an In-App Message using our creator tool. You can find this under Messages > In-App. Feel free to use our In-App Message Templates to delight your users by quickly sending visually-appealing messages.
- Learn how to set up an In-App Message Triggers to show your message and In-App Message Click handler to perform custom events when messages are clicked.
OneSignal has five out-of-the-box In-App templates for you to quickly get started. These templates are professionally designed with rich-media content to help you deliver a quality experience to your app users. These include: Welcome Message, Push Permission Prompt, Promotions, New Feature Announcements, and App Store Rating request.
You can customize these templates with your own branding and set them to an active state in a few minutes.
In order to begin using your In-App Message Templates, navigate to Messages > In-App. Here you’ll see a collection of default templates.
In Summary we have provided the following templates:
- Welcome: Allows you to welcome your user into your application as part of their onboarding.
- Promotional: Allows you to offer your user a discount. Here we use a trigger which gives you the ability to specify when the user should see this promotion.
- Allow Notifications: Encourages your user to sign up for notifications
In order to edit a template, click onto the template you’d like to view. Then navigate to Actions at the top of the screen and select Edit.
Now you’ll see our In-App Message creator tool to begin editing your message. To find out more about our content blocks, read more on Design your In-App Message.
Make any changes and when ready to test, click Send to Test Device. This will send your device a push notification that you can click to open your app and preview the IAM updates.
- Push Notifications are not sent when in production. Push is only sent when clicking Send to Test Device.
- Testing In-App Messages requires Push Subscription. Push Subscription is not required in production.
- If you are not a test user, see Find Devices & Set Test Users.
Updated 5 months ago